You don't have to. You CAN enjoy the holidays without gaining 10 lbs...seriously. I know the temptations are there but do you really want to get to January 2nd feeling sluggish, crappy, your clothes not fitting and with a huge mountain to climb?? I know I don't. That's why I'm committing to the following things and I wanted to share them with you so you could incorporate them into your holiday plans as well!
- The 80/20 rule (or 90/10 if you're ambitious) is what I live by...80% of the time I eat clean and 20% of the time I allow myself treats! So that means in a typical week if I'm eating 5 meals a day, that's 35 meals a week. 20% of that is 7 meals or snacks that I get to treat myself on. That may mean I allow myself to have a brownie if a co-worker brings some to work...or maybe that's a cheeseburger ON A BUN :) with some tater tots....or maybe it's a donut from my favorite donut shop...or an almond milk latte! Whatever it is, I allow myself these treats without feeling guilt and then here's the trick: I get right back on track immediately afterwards.
- Along the same lines of allowing yourself treats is making sure you PLAN them out!! You can't just allow yourself to decide in the moment if you're going to have a treat. If you do that you will fall prey to every single treat that's lying around. Also, make sure those treats COUNT. Don't be wasting a treat on some oreos unless you really really love oreos. Personally I'd choose a piece of homemade apple pie or something that is definitely worth the sugar bomb...otherwise you'll just be living in regret.
- Keep yourself satisfied with nutrient rich foods and water BEFORE you head to a party. Protein rich, fiber rich foods and lots of veggies. Get a huge salad in.
- The 2 day rule. Don't ever skip more than 2 days of workouts. Also, if you know you're going to be splurging at an event or a party make sure you get a workout in before!
- You don't have to skip the alcohol completely...just don't have more than 2. It's OK to set a limit for yourself before going into an event. You'll feel better the day after and you won't be drinking tons of extra calories/sugar.
- Accountability!! Our accountability groups that we run can help you get through the holidays. We will be there to help when you're struggling and actually help you lose weight and build healthy habits during the holidays...instead of gaining. Our next one will be starting on November 30th and we're also doing a Hammer & Chisel Test Group which will start on December 21st! ASK us about either of these...we'd love to get you into one of those groups to help!
- Get creative and make some healthified desserts to share at events. A few of our favorites are Black Bean Brownies or these Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars!